Sunday 7 December 2008

Doncaster Indoor Tournament

Was up early yesterday morning to get to Doncaster. Fortunately Doncaster is only about 30 minutes away so I didn't have to set off at silly o-clock. I had to take the flyball box with me as Andy's van was broken so he was going by car, just taking the dogs that were running and didn't have room to take the other box. It had been forecast to be very cold so I had numerous layers on as I remember how cold it was there in October. We weren't in until the 2nd division so that gave plenty of time to exercise the dogs and fuel up on a sausage sandwich. I made a point of wearing my long Woof boots as the tournament is held in an indoor riding school and although the dogs run on turf, the school surface is this strange black rubbery type stuff and turns everything black. I was wearing white trainers last time I went and certainly learn't a valuable lesson about choosing footwear carefully lol. We were first in in our division and won the first two races. We lost the 3rd as Keston decided he didn't want to do the hurdles on the way back. We won one race and lost another in the afternoon and ended up coming 2nd in the division. Monty ran great again with no misbehaving. It was at Doncaster last time that he had Andy bellowing and chasing him off the box because he suddenly got a habit of spinning round and going back to the box for another ball. I managed to get 2 free hot chocolates from the food van and they had squirty cream on the top and were excellent. I also met Jakey Tripod, the 3 legged dog whose road to flyball dog I'm following on Facebook. He's a lovely boy and it was great to watch him racing.
The weather was quite nice during the day but the temps dropped quite a lot later on. I got volunteered to box load for Cheshire Set in Div 1, the last Div of the day as Katherine had to leave straight after our Division. We went back to the cars after the racing while the presentation started. The temperature had dropped so much that all the cars were frozen. I scraped the ice of the disco's windscreen before we went in for presentation. Afterwards I had to scrape it again as it had re-frozen! We all started our cars up and just sat for a while till they'd defrosted and de-fogged so we could actually see out the windows. Thankfully the drive home didn't take long and I didn't hit all the bloody traffic lights in Balby as usually happens.
So, Monty has another rosette on the cage and some more points and we had another good day. I think that was our last tournament until the New Year.

No comments: