Tuesday, 4 August 2009

Tournaments, training and other stuff

First of all, we had our own tournament in July in which Storm raced in starters on Saturday and Sunday, with both teams taking 2nd place. Monty raced on the Saturday but his team didn't do so well and only managed 5th place.
The weekend after was just a training day focussing mainly on box work. Monty did a couple of runs but then did something to a back leg and ran out of the hurdles on the way back which he never does. He was tried again and again he ran out on the way back. It was obvious he'd done something as he never runs out so back in the van he went with no more training that day. Storm did a lot better but wasn't as confident as usual on the box, only getting 3 paws on, due to the rather wet conditions (he's going to have to get used to running on wet grass). As you can see from the pics below, a couple of slats in front of the box got that 4th paw on.

The weekend just gone saw us over on the Wirral for the Dolphins tournament. Storm was running in starters and Monty on his open team. The starter team did really well, having a dog from the Tyne Tailwaggers joining us, and managed to take 2nd place. Montys team ran extremely well and won every race meaning a 1st place. The last race got a bit hairy where we lost the plot slightly and gave the opposing team a 2 peg head start. Fortunately we got it together again and won the next 3 legs and ultimately, the race.

On a non flyball note, I noticed a small scab on the back of Storms neck a couple of weeks ago but just put some Savlon on it and thought no more of it. A few days later I noticed Monty paying particular interest in Storms neck and upon checking discovered an area all sore and scabby. He went to the vets first thing the next morning where he was diagnosed with a skin infection. The vet said it most likely started after a small trauma such as a nick from a thorn or something while out walking, infection set in and started spreading. He had to have the hair on the back of his neck shaved off, the area washed with Hibi-scrub twice daily and was on a course of antibiotics for a week. It has all cleared up now and we're just waiting for the hair to grow back again. Below is a pic of the infected area.

We have training this coming weekend then its off down to the BFA Summer Champs the weekend after.

1 comment:

An English Shepherd said...

Hope Storm is better soon.

We are off to the BFA Championships as well!

Wizz :-)